Thursday, November 18

How to Poach an Egg in a Microwave

I love topping a salad with a poached egg, flirting with normal conceptions of breakfast and lunch in the morning. As per the suggestions of this post, I need to experiment more with lentils, and the poached egg on top with be a nice and familiar touch. I've always cooked my eggs on the stove top, using salt and the vortex method, however they always inevitably get stuck to the bottom of the pan and I have to maneuver a bit to prevent the yolk from breaking and spilling out. So it was fortunate that I came across this simple how to post on poaching eggs in a microwave. 

My kitchen is quite small and the microwave takes up a significant amount of counter space, so I've been trying to use it more often. This includes quick-steaming vegetables, sweet potatoes, as well as swordfish (2 minutes on high with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, slat and pepper, continue from there for 30 second bursts until it flakes). And now it's time to step up my game to poached eggs. 

This tip is also very useful to those still living in dorms as most common rooms are outfitted with microwaves. I'm su re there is a way to cook both the eggs and the lentils using a microwave and I'll explore those microwave-compatible-meals a little more in the future.

For now, enjoy this post, originally from The Kitchn, a great cooking and kitchen resource with many other affiliated blogs.


How To Poach an Egg in the Microwave

I don't usually use the microwave to poach my breakfast egg, but it can come in very handy for a lunch egg. Lentils, brown rice, or a salad can be elevated from a side dish to a main dish with a tender, gooey poached egg on top. Here's how to make a quick, freshly poached egg in the office microwave.

 
2010_08_25-Microwave.jpgHuge caveat, before you try this: Remember that microwaves come in lots of different configurations. This is a basic set of instructions but you will probably need to tweak it a bit to adjust to your microwave.

What You Need

Ingredients
1 egg
1/3 cup water
Approximately 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
Equipment
Microwave
Microwave-safe mug or small bowl
Microwave-safe small plate
Slotted spoon

Instructions

1. Gather your ingredients. The vinegar is optional, but it will help the egg coalesce a little better.
2. Crack the egg into a microwave-safe bowl or mug.
3. Pour in about 1/3 cup water.
4. Add a bit of vinegar. (You can also add this directly to the water before pouring it in.)
5. Cover the bowl or mug with a microwave-safe plate. Place in the microwave and cook on 80% POWER for 60 seconds. Check the egg. If it is not done yet, return to microwave and cook on 80% POWER in 20 second bursts. (I usually cook mine for a total of 80 seconds.)
6. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon, and enjoy!
Additional Notes:
• This method will give a rather wobbly egg. If you like a more hardboiled-style egg, microwave on HIGH for 60 seconds.
• Do note that, unlike when poaching eggs on the stovetop, the microwave tends to cook the yolk even faster than the white. So if you like gooey yolks, it's best to take the egg out when the white is still a little wobbly.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics here. Also - never knew this was possible. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I tried poaching eggs once in the microwave and it didn't really work for me. It didn't really cook as well.

    I poach eggs quite often (gotta love eggs benedict) and to prevent them from sticking to the bottom I let them settle a little bit after I drop it in (maybe a minute), then very gently push some of the water towards the yolk. Very gently. It will force the egg upwards without poking it with a spoon. Also do you use vinegar? I know it helps keep it together, but it may help with sticking too.

    Hope that helps you out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails