Wednesday, August 18

Georgetown Cupcake: A Tradition to be Upheld

Mike and I have a stupid cute mushy googly* personal weekly tradition that revolves around Georgetown Cupcakes. Unfortunately, given the increase in tourism that DC has experienced during the summer months, and the untimely premiere of the TLC show DC Cupcakes, the lines are reached an unprecedented length. But on an unseasonably cool Sunday with no other plans, it seems worth it to brave the line, all in the name of expensive habits.


Given that I had about 2 hours to kill, what to some seems like an unbearable wait only wasted half of my time. Sure, I could have gone home to make cupcakes, but then I would have gotten there only to realize that I didn't have cream cheese, or powdered sugar, or food dye, or marzipan, because who honestly carries all of these ingredients on a regular basis. And even if I did, my cupcakes would be good, but not as good. I would get 10 or 12 out of my batch, but I don't want 12 cupcakes sitting around fighting for me to eat them. So, I stood in line.

It was rather comfortable, with points along the way to sit and rest. Also, luckily enough, I picked a day that was relatively overcast, with a subtle breeze to keep me cool and sane, lest the wait cause me to lose my mind. All of these comforts, as well as a few podcasts and articles, kept me productive and filled the void of accompaniment that most others had filled with friends and families. I was stuck in the middle of a crowded line, yet, ironically enough, it felt like my own alone time and it was consoling.


And the fruits of my patience. By the way, they were delicious. Bet you wish you weren't too good to wait for a $20 cupcake now!

Cupcakes in a different lighting.


*"googly" refers to the googly-eyes that people in a relationship share. It is looked down upon with spite and resentment, particularly by Twin #1, of Twins on Twins fame.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out.

    I just don't understand why anyone would/did wait in line that long. I mean, the cupcakes are good, but I'd much rather just grab some much cheaper, still-delicious cupcakes from the grocery store. But I guess that's what comes from an unrefined palette.

    As for your problem of having too many cupcakes... that's just not possible. I'm sure Mike would gladly indulge himself if you really thought you had too many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate buying/having more than I need. Having tons of extra anything around just bothers me, especially if it is food that will go bad.

    And as for grocery store cupcakes, really? Chemical-ly tasting "frosting" on top of a dense, over-mixed cupcake is not exactly a substitute.

    Besides, an hour for anything isn't that bad. I'd rather do that then stand in line for 4 hours in 25 degree weather, just to endure a stampede for 30 minutes to get inside the stadium, run to get seats in front of a bunch of over zealous fans who spill their beer and chicken fingers on your winter coat. Yeah, I'm talking about Georgetown basketball.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails