Sunday, August 22

Zucchini-Potato Chips: A Way To Get Your Vegetables and Eat Them, Too

Chips generally are not a good, healthy option. Even when they are made out of a less starchy, more substantive vegetable. But they sure do taste good.

I had the idea for zucchini chips when I realized I had a lot more zucchini than I had time to use it all. And I wanted another method of preparing them that wasn't steaming or sautéing or roasting. They came out well, though a few tweaks would be necessary to make them great. I would like to mention that Mike found them good enough to replace or accompany bread that is served before a meal at a restaurant.  That has yet to be seen...

General method

Slice vegetables very thin, using a knife or mandolin slicer. Place in layers in a colander, cover in salt, and allow to drain for 30 minutes. 

Rinse the vegetables and pat dry. Fill a saucepan with a mix of canola and olive oils, or peanut oil, or any oil with a high smoke point, and heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook small batches at a time, allow to fry in the oil for about 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables in a colander or bowl lined with paper towels, sprinkle with sea salt and serve. 

My tiny kitchen. 

Potatoes and zucchini frying on the stove top. 

Chips draining in a paper towel-lined bowl. 

1 comment:

  1. I have some zucchini at home, and was going to saute slices of it nobly in just a touch of oil with some garlic. But why be virtuous when you can eat fried food??? Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails