Friday, January 7

Pasta Inspiration

In light of my having to cut more gluten out of my diet, I followed up my breakfast of gluten free oats with fully gluten-ized penne pasta (didn't have any brown rice pasta, which would make this gluten free)!

My initial inspiration was carbonara pasta, which I deconstructed a bit. I had red leaf lettuce that I wanted to use up so I cut that in a chiffonade and used in place of the peas that I always include in my carbonara. I diced up the prosciutto and cooked that until crispy, using the rendered fat, and a bit of olive oil, to cook the onion and garlic. I added the prosciutto and pasta to the onions and garlic. While I poached the egg I added the lettuce so it would wilt slightly from the residual heat. I topped the pasta with the poached egg and Parmesan shavings.

The runny yolk coated the pasta very nicely and tasted great with the sweetness of the onions and garlic ad saltiness of the prosciutto. I thought it was reminiscent of a carbonara, sans the butter (which I was going for).


Penne with Red Leaf Lettuce, Red Onion, Prosciutto, Poached Egg and Parmesan Shavings

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails