Wednesday, July 7

10 Reasons to Get a Cast Iron Pot, as told by Macheesmo

This has been the longest gap in my posts since March and this one will not even be, entirely, in my own words. I've been gathering content to do a list of essential kitchen-ware for college students and young adults. One item that I think is particularly important is a cast iron pan. Ironically enough, I don't own one myself. I think that finding one, and then subsequently seasoning it, is a rather intimate process and so I've been taking my time with it. But these 10 reasons may be enough to convince myself, and all of you, to get a move on it. (That is if you don't own one already.


from Macheesmo




Ten Reasons for Cast Iron


"Recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about kitchen equipment.  This is based on some emails I’ve been getting asking for recommendations on cookware and also on my huge influx of quality kitchen gear I’ve received via wedding presents.
Over the years I’ve amassed a pretty fair collection of pots, pans, gizmos, and gadgetsand to be completely honest, I use almost all of them fairly regularly.  But there’s one piece of kitchen equipment that I use more than any other.
It’s one of the very first things I recommend people spend their hard earned money on if they’re trying to get a kitchen started.
The piece of equipment, of course, is a cast iron skillet.
10 Reasons to Own a Cast Iron Skillet
1) Made of Iron. This thing is sturdy.  You can drop it and it won’t be damaged.  You don’t have to worry about scratching it or discoloring it (it’s black already you see).  It’s possible that it can rust, but you can easily clean it.  Cast iron skillets will take any and all abuse and still last forever.  In fact, your skillet will probably outlast even you.
2) It Can Take The Heat. Most cookware comes with heat warnings.  Even most stainless steel cookware isn’t supposed to go over 450/500 degrees in an oven.  Cast iron?  I mean… yea… eventually it’ll melt.  But seriously you can cook on an open campfire with this thing.  Try that with a nonstick pan.  Oh wait.  Don’t.  I don’t want any lawsuits."


To read more, go to Macheesmo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails