Thursday, July 8

Let Them Have Soul, Ben L'oncle Soul

I've been reading French Women Don't Get Fat, deceptively titled to make you think it's a diet book. Rather it's a relatively transparent attempt to awaken the francophile hidden deep within all Americans. It's actually quite refreshing, given the bastardizing of bouef a la bourguignonne, a traditional french beef dish, by Julie and Julia, quite similar to the bastardizing of argyle sweaters during Fall 2009 (I'm taking to you Tar-jay!), but I digress.

Needless to say the francophile has been awakened in me, to the point that I've searched beyond the deep history of provencal food and haute cuisine that has put France in the center of the culinary map. That lead me to Ben L'oncle Soul. When I first read the name I thought it was some kind of French copyright infringement on Uncle Ben's rice, with the "Soul" added for good measure. But instead, it turned out to be a soulful Frenchman churning out covers of "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes and "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley like no one's business. And on top of all of that, dude doesn't even speak English, at the very least, not very well.

I can speak to his talent only to a limited extent. But here is Ben L'oncle Soul, performing a cover of Seven Nation Army. In this case, hearing is believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails