Friday, July 2

Shrimp, Chicken and (Soy) Chorizo Paella

I tear up in the kitchen, leaving a ton of dishes in my wake. So tonight, I figured the solution would be a one pot meal. I just purchased some soy chorizo from Trader Joe's, not necessarily for the nutritional benefits, but because a package of D'Artagnan chorizo would run me $11, as opposed to the $2 I spent on the healthier, meatless version. From there, paella was on my mind. Despite the lack of saffron, I figured I could (somewhat) make up for this with some cayenne pepper and paprika. I can not understate the amazingness that is saffron threads, though, and s, if you have the means and accessibility to saffron, then use it.

My paella still came out well. I can provide an approximation of the recipe (one that really just exists in my mind). But the pictures are the best part.


Shrimp, Chicken and (Soy) Chorizo Paella

Ingredients:
3 chicken thighs
handful of frozen shrimp, tail removed
1/2 package of soy chorizo
2 cups cooked rice, or 1 cup uncooked rice (preferably arborio or another short grain rice, but I used long grain white rice this time)
1/2 cup chicken broth, or 2 cups if using uncooked rice
2 cloves garlic, sliced paper thin
1 anchovy fillet, diced
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes (or a can of diced tomatoes)
1/2 spanish onion, brunoised (small dice)
1 T olive oil/bacon grease/animal fat
2 bay leaves
Saffron
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Parsley

Method:

Add the olive oil/bacon grease/animal fat to a large pot/dutch oven/cast iron pan and sear the chicken thighs, then remove. Add the garlic to the pot. When fragrant, add the diced anchovy and onion and cook until the onions are translucent. Crush the grape tomatoes and add them to the pot. Lower the heat and allow to stew and caramelize.

If using uncooked rice, add 2 cups of the rice and 4 cups of chicken broth to the pot. If using cooked rice, add 1/2 cup chicken broth and 2 bay leaves and saffron to the pot and let simmer for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken meat off the bone, dice up and add to the pot, along with the soy chorizo (removed from the casing). After 10 minutes of simmering, add the cooked rice and mix well. Add cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.

Top with shrimp and parsley, cover and let the heat from the paella warm the shrimp.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, saffron is amazing!! So pricey so we usually don't have it around the house but my roommate recently purchased some for a special dinner and I was swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I still don't really know what paella is. You don't really cater to the complete novice. (Cater? Cooking pun!)

    Also, George's parents made paella on Seinfeld once. You should have referenced that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails