Sunday, April 18

New Theme: Spanish French Toast, Green Curry and Hot Dogs

So after lots of deliberation over the direction that my blog has been heading in, I've decided to change the theme from a radio/travel blog to a food blog. This also lines up with my new found hobby, that being cooking and researching all things related to food. At my university we only have one dining hall for a couple thousand students and the food quality is less than satisfactory. Because of this I decided to purchase the smallest meal plan and then supplement that with cooking my own meals. It has been going very well and I would like to be able to use this as a way to show college students, and others, that it is possible to cook quality food with limited times, limited funds and limitless creativity and resolve. We'll see how long I'll be able to keep this up.


I guess the best way to start this would be to explain what I cooked today.

In my humble opinion, Sunday breakfast is one of the most important meals of the week. Usually it is pancakes day in my apartment but I decided to try something different. While creating my recipes binder (a collection of about 100 recipes, and growing) I came across a recipe for torrijas, spanish french toast made with a stale french baguette. Luckily enough I had a quickly-hardening baguette on the top of my fridge, and so I went about making the torrijas topped with powdered sugar and a side of bacon.

Then for dinner I decided to make a green curry with this paste that had been sitting in the cupboard for an amount of time that I can't publish in good conscience. Because of what I think believe is a result of all of the chili paste and soy sauce, my green curry became a red one, but the flavor is so good that I think I could put Bangkok Bistro out of business. It would also be terrible for me to forget to mention the hot dogs (for the picky-eating boyfriend), tomato-basil-mozzarella antipasto and sundried tomato and basil focaccia that humbly sat beside the curry at the dinner table.

That's all for now. I'll post the recipes and pictures of the results sometime tomorrow, as soon as I get them from my boyfriend's camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails