Monday, April 19

Peanut Sauce (for dipping or as a salad dressing or marinade)


Peanut sauce has always been one of my favorite sauces. Peanut is a great flavor and balances that funny, little line reconciling the sweet with the salty. Here is a recipe that I've adapted to the flavors I like, and you can do the same.

1/3 C peanut butter
2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 C warm water
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped*
1/4 T ginger root, grated**
1 t chili paste***

1. In a small bowl, combine the garlic cloves and ginger root.
2. Add the peanut butter to the bowl and mix.
3. Slowly add water, stirring the mixture as you pour. Do the same for the soy sauce.
4. Finally, add the chili paste.

*I love garlic, but I opted for just one clove. Next time I'll try two and see whether or not the second clove makes the flavor too overwhelming. Adjust according to your personal tastes.
**Ginger can be an acquired taste for some people. The first recipe I looked at only called for 1/8 t of grated ginger root and made it optional, so don't feel obligated to add any. But if it's a flavor you enjoy, the more the merrier.
***I am also a love of all things spicy. I think the 1 teaspoon is just enough to give it a slight kick without taking away from the depth peanut flavor. I might add a little more next time, just to experiment a little.

I put the final product in a salsa jar that Mike and I finished last week. I find that keeping jars like that, particularly the mason jars that tomato sauces come in, are particularly useful for storing leftovers, sauces, marinades and keeping the prep work I do the night before for some recipes fresh.

I roasted asparagus in the oven and dipped it in the peanut sauce. This was along side of all of the green/red curry that I have left over from last night. I also made a simple pepperoni pizza for Mike. I'll give the recipe for that, along with the homemade tomato sauce that I use on the pizza, next time I make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails