Thursday, June 17

Building a Better Burger

In honor of the season premiere of Top Chef DC, and to make myself feel better about not being able to go to Good Stuff, a burger joint in DC run by a Top Chef season 3 alum, for a viewing party, I decided to make burgers and a toasted marshmallow milkshake for dinner. While the milkshake never materialized, the burgers became a reality, albeit a smoke-alarm-filled one.

I am of the opinion that burgers are a messy food, especially for those topping-happy folks that just can't live without their cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato, bacon, along with any other ingredient that strikes their fancy. My answer to toning down the mess without toning down the flavor: chop up those ingredients and mix them into the hamburger meat. While this would not be as well executed with lettuce or tomato, a finely diced onion, chopped bacon, even a diced or grade semi-hard cheese could be mixed into the patty.

Ground Beef, Red Onion, Bacon, Basil, Garlic, Dash of Soy Sauce and Worchestshire Sauce
And when mixed together...


I guess I've been a little off my cooking game because the smoke detector would not stop going off. At first there was absolutely no smoke in the room and Mike and I just shared frazzled looks as we waved rags underneath to dissipate the nonexistent smoke. However, upon opening the door of the over after about 10 minutes, smoke came billowing out and I had no choice but to abandon my original attempt at cooking the burgers.

I turned off the oven and just let the burgers sit in there a little longer, using the residual heat to cook the meat further, as well as melt the sharp cheddar cheese on my burger. Then I fried some crinkle cut and sweet potato fries on the side in a pot full of canola oil. The burgers were put on kaiser rolls (I was hoping for brioche but Safeway failed me, and so I turn to Trader Joe's in my next time of need), mine accompanied by sliced red onion and a few leaves of basil.


Hamburgers are a great way to add variety to a week possibly filled with pasta and the occasional Chinese delivery. All in all, it's a great meal, quick meal, cheap meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails