Wednesday, June 9

Why We Love Supermarkets

Yesterday, I talked about price comparisons between regular shopping markets (of the Safway persuasion), and smaller, specialty markets (like Trader Joe's). While I love Trader Joe's and feel that I could cover all of my, and Mike's, grocery needs with a Trader Joe's and Costco, I still believe in the traditional supermarket. I remember the feeling I had when Mike and I walked into the new Safeway. But I feel that this article articulates all the things about supermarkets that I love and respect much more eloquently than I could.

An Excerpt:

"At a time when farmers' markets, boutique grocers, and artisan bakeries arethe go-to places for food-savvy shoppers, supermarkets get a bad rap assymbols of corporate homogenization and the dumbing-down of taste. That maybe true to some degree, but if the two of us have learned anything from our travels around the country to research our Roadfood books and website, it's that a stroll through atown's local supermarket can be every bit as enlightening as a visit to an open-air marketin an exotic, faraway place. We like supermarkets because they're practical and big and easy to navigate, sure; but more than that, we love them because, like all markets, they are portraits of the way people cook and eat"


You can read the rest at Saveur, another great food and cooking website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails