Wednesday, June 23

Lunch: Responsibly, Reasonably and On A Budget

I love making food from scratch. There is no better stress reliever for me than cooking, and luckily enough that doesn't necessarily include a second step of eating. However, when you work full time, planning lunches from scratch gets to be relatively complicated. I live close enough where I can go home to cook food, but it is so hot in DC that I'd rather sit in an air conditioned office without food than melt on my way home to get some, just to walk back overheated and with the itis (a.k.a. food coma). That's right people, it's a dangerous combination and I don't want to be caught asleep at the front desk.



Luckily, Trader Joe's is known for having an amazingly stocked freezer section, perfect for mine and Mike's weekday lunches. I do much of my shopping at Trader Joe's, mostly for staple items and some snacks, but I do have to say that it is not for those who enjoy putting painstaking detail into making each component of a dish from scratch. While I would love to be able to have the time to do that during the day, it's neither practical nor time-effective (time being just as important to me as cost), and so I am giving up this battle.


While it is unclear in what way this will direct my efforts to get Mike off of processed foods, save a few special items, I'm excited for the time savings. Moreover, their freezer sections boasts prices that are extremely reasonable and enough variety to keep us distracted from the fact that it's not homemade.

And on that note, anew component of my blog for this summer will be reviewing the frozen foods that we try. So far we've tasted the mac n' cheese ($2.99), spinach and mushroom quiche ($1.89) beef tamales ($2.29) , chicken fried rice ($2.99), and the mandarin orange chicken ($4.99). Look out for those reviews as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails