Monday, June 28

Dark Roast Coffee Gelee: Dessert for a Morning Wake Up


Looks just like the picture above, right?

Ever since I saw this recipe on epicurious, I've been dying to make a dark roast coffee gelee. Luckily I had some gelatin packets left from my panna cotta experiment, and of course my handy dandy french press, so I knew I was good to go. 

I generally tend to crave savory foods, as opposed to sweet ones. But, thinking about the cupcakes I made yesterday was getting to be too much to ignore. Luckily, I had the gelee waiting in the fridge for a low calorie, sweet-tooth-satisfying pick-me-up to keep me going until lunch.

And forgive the unyielding structure of my coffee gelee. I had originally planned on setting it in glasses, similar to the ones in the picture above. But then I thought to myself, I bet I could just mold it into a nice shape in some coffee mugs. Obviously that was not the case.

Dark Roast Coffee Gelee

Note: I've adapted the recipe slightly, substituting white sugar for a mix of raw agave and an agave blend syrup, both from Trader Joe's. I think it made the flavor a little more mellow, and maybe a little sweeter than with white sugar (mellow, yet sweeter. It makes sense in my mind and in my mouth).


Ingredients:
2 1/4 C dark roast coffee (made from 6 tablespoons finely ground dark-roast coffee beans) plus 1 T cold water
1/4 C raw agave

1/4 C syrup (or Trader Joe's agave syrup blend)
1 1/2 t unflavored gelatin (from one 1/4-oz envelope)
2 t vanilla



Method:

Brew ground coffee in french press.

Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water and let rest for one minute. Add the the hot coffee, agave, syrup, and vanilla to the gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.

Pour into glass tumblers or a gelatin mold. Chill, covered, until softly set, for at least 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails