Monday, May 3

Gnocchi with Bacon, Spinach, Vodka Cream Sauce

I know there has been a lack of posting recently. I went home for the weekend to watch Georgetown's ultimate team, Catholic Justice, play at sectionals in Princeton. Despite one team trying to murder their players (Jacob ended up with stitches and a broken nose instead), they played hard and ended their season on a high note.

Back to our feature programming. I bought some gnocchi about a month ago, when I was on one of my trader joe's grocery shopping binges, but hadn't had a chance to cook it. Last night I decided it would be quick and easy to do a pasta dinner. So I fried up some bacon, browned some almonds, dethawed some spinach, mixed some sauces together and came up with a pretty good gnocchi dish. Mike ended up just eating cappelini pasta, with red sauce and bacon crummbled on top, but I'm going to give you the recipe for my dinner instead.

Ingredients:
1 package of Gnocchi (about 3-4 cups)
4 strips bacon
1/4 C almonds
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/2 C vodka sauce
1/2 C Alfredo Sauce

Method:
1. Put the gnocchi in a pot of boiling, salted water. When the gnocchi rise to the top, boil for 2 more minutes, then set aside.
2. In a frying pan, fry the strips of bacon. When the bacon is done, drain of the oil and cut into large pieces. In the same pan, brown the almonds. When the almonds are browned, add the frozen spinach and cook for 3 minutes.
3. In a sauce pan, add the vodka sauce, alfredo sauce, bacon, almonds and spinach. When the sauce begins to simmer, take off the heat, and serve with the gnocchi.


This recipes is easy enough because you don't have to go through the effort of making your own sauce (which I was originally planning on doing with some sundried tomatoes and cream). Not to mention, it can be vegetarian safe by not adding the bacon. I'm sure it would be good, in terms of flavor and color, with some asparagus or peas. Point is, you can amend the recipe given what you have in your pantry at time, but for now, this is a good, quick and cheap baseline.

2 comments:

  1. I would join you for dinner any time at all, but particularly if you served me this ... :)

    foodfloozie.blogspot.com
    twitter.com/foodfloozie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i repeat...sectionals?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails