Thursday, May 27

Meals for Movers

Today I'm moving all of my belongings from my apartment into a house. This means that I'm fighting a losing battle to use up all of the remaining food in my fridge. Moreover, Mike decided that he needed to go home the other day. The only positive thing that came out of this decision was that the food I had left would be more likely to be eaten. While it seems surprising, because he eats so much, given the kind of food I have left, it would be more likely to be eaten by me than him, anyway.

I have lots of bread left, and while the thought of eating nothing but whole wheat sandwich bread and strawberry jam is enticing, I figured it was a less than practical approach to my situation. So after work I picked up some eggs, which I have been using to make egg toast, with a side salad, which has also helped in using up all of the balsamic vinegar I still have. It is a healthy meal, providing protein, fiber, complex carbs and vitamins and minerals from the greens. It is also a cheap one, which makes my wallet as happy as it makes me ($1 for a 6-pack of eggs, $2.50 for the loaf of bread, $1.99 for a bag of salad greens, you do the math).

I've been obsessed with vinaigrettes lately, so I decided to do a 3 olive oil : 1 balsamic vinegar, rather than my 2/3 vegetable oil, 1/3 olive oil : 1 balsamic vinegar ratio. Then, as an emulsifier, I used my pest-amole mix. Don't be afraid, it's simple mixture of the spinach pesto I had made earlier and some guacamole. I got an amazing vivid green color and it tasted divine. As an emulsifier, it wasn't as good as the dijon, but it provided a more muted, yet flavorful element that you could really only get from avocado, definitely a contract from the strong, vinegar-y dijon.


Another way that I have been using up left over ingredients is by making calzones. I make the dough (see my earlier post on making your own pizza dough), mix up the cheeses, prep the toppings, bake and freeze for future lunches and dinners that cook quick. Here's a list of some of my calzone creations (resulting in 14 total calzones):

Pepperoni
Pepperoni and Pesto
Onion, Spinach and Cheese
Red Onion, Spinach, Tomato and Cheese
Bacon, Onion, Spinach and Cheese
Bacon, Red Onion, Spinach, Tomato and Cheese
Pesto, Red Onion, Spinach, Tomato and Cheese

Pesto, Bacon, Red Onion, Spinach, Tomato and Cheese
Bacon, Onion, Mushroom and Cheese
Pesto, Bacon, Onion, Mushroom and Cheese
Beef and Mexican Cheese
Pest-amole, Beef and Mexican Cheese
Pes-amole, Black Beans, Beef and Mexican Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails