Sunday, May 9

Recent Meals: Frittatas, Pizzas, Curry and Frappucinoes

As you know, I've been busy with finals. I wasn't going to allow myself a real break until Monday after 5 when I finally turned in my 15-20 page term paper. But I decided that was a little draconian and that you all were missing my food writing. Plus, I have 5 pages done so far, I can punch out the rest in a flash if need be.

Anyway, I've been busy and so I've mainly been doing quick meals or cooking the day before. I made a green curry sometime on Thursday night which has lasted through 3 meals so far, probably because Mike won't go near the stuff. Here is a recipe that is easily amendable (I change around the ingredients every time, simply based on what I have on hand).

Green Curry with Chicken
Ingredients:
1 table spoon of green curry paste (you can find a small jar at most supermarkets in the Asian cuisine aisle)
1 can (14 oz) of (light) coconut milk
2 T of (low sodium) soy sauce
1 T of fish sauce (very smelly but essential for the flavor)
1 T of sriracha chili paste (to taste)
1 t of chopped or grated ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 chicken breasts (~7 oz) diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
1/2 red bell pepper sliced
1/2 red onion diced (last time I sliced a white onion)
1/2 C peas
1/2 C of (frozen) chopped spinach (last time I used whole-leaf baby spinach)

Method
1. Bring the curry paste, coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, ginger and garlic to a boil.
2. When the liquid comes to a boil, add the chicken breast and vegetables and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with jasmine rice.



*I'm going to be coming up with a recipe for coconut jasmine rice soon, which I think would pair awesome with this recipe

For Mike, I just cooked a pepperoni pizza, using some of the pizza dough that had been sitting in my freezer. On a side note, I highly recommend buying and freezing pizza dough as it thaws quickly and you can use it make two very quick meals that are also good for getting rid of food in the pantry and fridge: 1) pizza; or 2) calzones (which also freeze well for lunches or dinner)





For breakfast I made a frittata with some spinach, chopped asparagus, gruyere, swiss and mexican blend cheese.


And as I'm sure many of you know, Starbucks is doing a frappucino happy hour from 3-5 pm until May 16th. You can go in and get any frappucino for half price. I, being too cheap to pay and too lazy to walk to the one 3 blocks from my apartment, decided to use my handy-dandy new blender, some freshly-brewed coffee, almond extract, agave nectar, half & half and ice to make my own frappucino happy hour. I topped mine with some whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I have to say, it was the perfect way to beat this DC heat.

And please forgive the sideways picture, as well as the less-than-amazing quality of the other photos. I use my cell phone to take pictures, as I can email them directly to myself, which is much easier than pulling out my camera for one shot. But, I'll be getting a new phone in less than a month (hopefully the HTC incredible android phone or an iPhone) and that should greatly improve the food-picture experience.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails